Friday, May 6, 2011

Turning that day around

Yesterday I started my day like any other day. I headed to school and began my morning. Around 8:30, I got a call from my mom. Mrs. Y (C's teacher at school) had called and Clayton had fallen at school at possibly need stitches. What???? It was only 8:30 - how could he already be hurt?
I immediately called Mr. Y to get the details.
Yes, C had fallen "out of his chair" and "I probably needed to come." She thought "he probably needed a couple of stitches."
I left my classroom (with student teacher and assistant in charge) and headed across town. - I made it in 15 minutes - record time!
When I arrived, Big C was sitting/laying in Mrs. Y's lap. And, I have to admit, he did look pretty pitiful. With ice pack, Popsicle, and towel in tow, we headed to Urgent Care.
Walking straight in, (without a wait!!!) C was immediately given numbing cream to prep for three stitches.

Daddy Will soon arrived for a little laughter and comfort.
Will and I did take this time with him to get the story behind this "accident."
C: I was rocking my chair back and forth. My chair slipped out. I fell out of my chair and my face hit the desk and the floor.

Mommy: Oh really - so where should the legs of your chair be? (Must be the teacher in me)

C: On the floor. But, there's no rule about that. And my chair was quiet.

What can you really say to that???



Big C was a trooper! Not shedding one tear, holding my hand tightly through this quick process.
Afterward, "Hey Mom, that didn't hurt at all!" - My boy is growing up!

Needing to go back to school, and still wanting to keep Big C somewhat close for a while, I was able to take C with me back to work. He was there only a short while before Will picked him up, but I think he did have a great time.

Kindergarten is celebrating Derby Week this week. Big C was able to make a Derby hat and sock stick horse while he was there.



He was also able to join a couple of my school kiddos in a game of Dominoes! He was even able to buddy-read with a 4th grade reading buddy for a few minutes.



Thanks to an understanding principal, a patient doctor, and an accommodating husband (who ended up taking the second 1/2 the day off) - I was able to turn this hectic & surprising morning into a few shared, school moments with my Big C that I treasured. It ended up being a pretty great day!



Big C's at home and "Derby ready" - well sort of. He still doesn't ("can't") really smile, due to "it hurts to smile, Mom."

But he still looks pretty adorable on his stick horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment