Friday, April 29, 2011

Secret Life of a Kindergarten Teacher

I am coming to a close on my 8th year of teaching kindergarten. Each year brings new and exciting changes and challenges. This year I have been fortunate enough (with my team of teachers) to create a theme-based curriculum focused around great literature and teachable opportunities for 18 little kiddos.
The life of a kindergarten teacher, or any teacher for that matter, can be somewhat chaotic and hectic. Those outside of the teaching profession sometimes just don't quite get it.
Here is a peek inside.

Only a kindergarten teacher sends her husband to the grocery (or makes a quick run myself) 5 of the 7 days of the week. What am I buying???? gummy worms, chocolate cake mix, 200 plastic bugs, skittles, Cheez-it crackers, glitter stars - you name it.
Gummy worms and chocolate cake mix to create a class compost cake.
Plastic bugs for an observation lesson of adding using fun bug counters.
Skittles to sort and graph.
Cheez-it crackers to measure objects using a non-standard measurement.
Glitter stars for our "universe in a bottle project" during our study of the solar system & space

Only a kindergarten teachers has 2 class pets as once (one was just visiting) - and my record with class pets is not that great.
We had a visiting bunny for our Easter unit. And now a tadpole for our study of the frog life cycle - who knew it took a tadpole 4 months to convert into a frog???



This sweet bunny is the #1 reason we now own Rockstar - I fell in love after a week!



Only a kindergarten teacher LOVES to create and paint. This is our awesome class solar system mobile that hangs from our classroom ceiling. I am truly impressed with how great it turned out! And yesterday, we began to paper mache our own planet earths in celebration of our study of Earth week.



Only a kindergarten teacher looks for any reason to celebrate!
Halloween Parties - dress up, carve pumpkins, eat scary treats
Christmas - Polar Express-themed party complete with hot chocolate and pajamas
Valentines - wrap boxes, chocolate treats
St. Patrick's - everything GREEN party
Easter - baskets, eggs, more yummy treats
Earth Day - landscaping, planting, and another yummy treat (a compost cake!)



Will says "everything has to have a theme!" I guess this does sort of become a way of life. Kid birthday parties, holiday celebrations - it just makes sense.

This was just a peek inside my crazy, fun-filled mind. I'm sure I drive those around me crazy, but I LOVE it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment