Thursday, July 7, 2011

Garden for Dinner

This is our 2nd year of attempting to plant and grow a summer garden in our backyard. Last year, I was very new to this whole "gardening" thing and I am still very "green" at this. Much to my surprise last year our garden was full of squash, zucchini, several watermelons, and tomatoes.
This year our garden is blooming green. So far we have picked @ 50 cucumbers, 15 squash and zucchini, 50+ green beans, and many cherry bomb peppers. We have three watermelons growing very well and many green tomatoes we're waiting to turn.
Each morning the boys carry their baskets to the garden and together we pick what's ready. The boys love it! Yesterday we had gathered enough green beans for dinner last night (since Grandma and Poppy were coming to dinner).

Clayton was ready to help.



When I was about Clayton's age, I can still remember sitting on my Granny's back porch and "shelling beans" just like Clayton and I did today (with even a little help from Daddy).



Such sweet summer memories.
And the beans were very tasty too!



Here is a sneak peek at what's growing.........











Even some splashes a color we planted at the edge of our garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment